Thursday, October 30, 2008

Just because...

he pees on the toilet once, doesn't mean he'll EVER do it again.

Amongst the craziness of last week, suddenly Jakson decided that he wanted to be potty trained. It didn't sound like that great of an idea to me. Frankly, I'm sort of attached to the convenience diapers provide. I don't have to worry about dragging him into disgusting public bathrooms or worrying that he'll pee on the *insert expensive piece of furniture here*. Zak and I tried to be enthusiastic about his ambition, so we took him to Target and let him pick out big boy underwear, a stool and one of those little seats that sits on the real toilet-I refuse to clean out one of those chamber pots like a lady-in-waiting. We even bravely let him roam around in his underoos all evening. Unfortunately, the potty training enthusiasm from all parties wore off after Jakson urinated all over the kitchen floor.

That was last week. We haven't revisited the whole potty training concept since.

Have I won the title Worst Parent of the Year yet?

5 comments:

Covey and Justin said...

I am totally with you on the potty training thing--I do so miss the convenience of diapers. One thing I don't miss though is the poop in the diaper. I worked in the toddler room and it is amazing how quickly you lose your tolerance for cleaning up toddler poop. Baby poop is completely different!! Don't worry--he won't go to college in diapers! You're doing fine.

[AnnieR] said...

Who is this really and what have you done with my penny-pinching room mate from yesteryear? The Beth I knew would have been potty training her kids from birth, just so she wouldn't have to spend the $ on diapers...

And don't worry about it--he'll do it again when he's ready. Just pushing him will backfire so forget about until he's ready. I SO learned that the hard way with Ruby, struggled and struggled and struggled and just kind of gave up for awhile and then one day out of the clear blue sky, she stood up and announced that she had to go to the bathroom. She went in and pooped right on the toilet and never had an accident--total smooth sailing. I think she was about 2 and a half/almost 3 maybe. So I whole-heartedly believe kids will do it when they're ready (because May was the same way and it was super easy) but maybe every kid is different. Anyway, good luck. It's very not fun.

sewdelightful said...

That is good he at least is thinking about going in the big potty. Don't push him to do it, they do it when they are ready. My girls were both at 2 1/2 and my boy was potty trained at 3 1/2. Don't stress too much about it, kids do learn! Good luck!

Bonnie Mills said...

That is hilarious! I refuse to potty train till Jordan's peepee can reach over the toilet without a stool, we're pretty close already. Strangely enough, at Mother's Day Out he'll sit on the potty, but not hear at the house!

Adam and Melissa said...

You are not a horrible parent! I remind myself that even the smallest progress is still progress! I also refuse to clean out a little potty. I make Carter sit on the toliet when he wnat to try.

Related Posts with Thumbnails