Monday, October 06, 2008

It's close to midnight, something evil's lurking in the dark...

I hate dressing up for Halloween. Well really for anything, especially the themed parties so popular among Mormon single adults-80's party, white trash party, disco skating.... My theory is that it all stems back to the token creative dating book every boy gets on his 16 birthday. When I am costumed I always feel like a moron, so I prefer to dress as "Beth" and make Halloween apparel for Jakson and now, Storey.

Zak on the other hand, doesn't need an excuse. Just wait until you see his costume for this year. It is classic.
This isn't it ------------------------>
This was BYU Homecoming 1999-he is dressed in his "formal" clothes. No that is not a black wig. He permed his hair and dyed it black. I know, it's horrid. And it wasn't even to go with this outfit-this is his "everyday wear".

But I digress. Because I'm crazy, I have been thinking about Jakson's Halloween costume for at least two months. He's obsessed with the picture book we have of Peter Pan, so at first I was going to make him a Pan costume and have Storey be Tinkerbell. Then I found out that my friend Melissa had beat me to it, so I was back to square one. I remembered that my mom gave me the clown costume that I wore as a kid, but upon closer consideration, found that it might fit Jak NEXT Halloween, but definitely too big for the shrimp now.

Last year Jakson was Draco Malfoy. It was fabulous and he was unique-not too many small children dress up as the protagonist of the famous Harry Potter. Not only that, but the costume "fit" Jakson-not that he's evil or sinister, but looks-wise. For those of you who have only recently become readers of the blog, here is Draco in all of his Weasley hating glory....
Notice the Slytherin colors in his appliqued tie and knitted scarf. And don't you love the "Weasley is my King" badge? That was my one moment of genius in 2007.

Once I started thinking in the Draco direction, I came up with a myriad of other book characters that he could be, but none seemed right until.....MAX!!It's perfect!! Only problem...there's no such thing as a Max costume pattern, so I've decided to improvise with a bear pattern and a little imagination. Hopefully you won't have to use your imagination a lot when trying to figure out what he is. Now if I could only find the time to start this project.....

9 comments:

j&krosser said...

You can do it- Queen of Craft!! That will be way cute. Just watch a little Project Runway for a nudge, that is my advice.

Danielle said...

I remember you dressed up as a FAT Brook at a fantastic Halloween party thrown in New Zealand. Now if I could only find the pictures... he he he!

Shenna said...

Oh, I SO have some pictures of that we can bust out. :) Actually, they might just be of Danielle and Jen as yours and Brooke's mom...I'll have to dig them out.

Covey and Justin said...

You can do it.. Last year EJ wanted to be a fish--he kept saying "Lijah-kish" Needless to say they don't make fish costumes either---I modified a dragon costume. This year he wanted to be Captain Feathersword--much easier!!

Diana Hawkins said...

Will Storey be a "Wild Thing"? Or the bowl of mush that gets cold, perhaps? :)

Bonnie Mills said...

That's too bad about your peter pan idea, I would have loved to see what you would have made for it! You can definitely tell you're an english major in your children's interests, peter pan, harry potter...My Jordan wanted to be Buzz Lightyear, b/c we tend to watch more movies than read around here, it's sad isn't it. Oh well, mommies sanity comes first! LOL

Bonnie Mills said...

LOL, I just realized that I spelled "mommies" wrong in that context. I swear I'm educated, the correct spelling is "mommy's". Beth, I figure you would appreciate that.

Phil said...

You have no idea how much zak's hair stunk after that perm. One of the worst smells I remember from that whole year.

deborah said...

so perfect... i loved his costume last year.

Related Posts with Thumbnails