Wednesday, September 03, 2008

On My Own

Storey is over three weeks old and sadly, today is the first day that I am truly the parent of two small children. I have had so much help from my parents/Zak in the last few weeks that I haven't had a taste of reality until this morning.
It played out like this:
Storey wakes up screaming with hunger. About one minute later, I hear Jakson banging around, most likely destroying something in his room beyond repair (have I mentioned lately that his crib tent has been shredded to pieces? The zipper remains intact, at least for the time being, so it still serves its purpose, but is an eyesore). I decide to take care of the screaming child and leave Jakson to fend for himself for another 30 minutes. Thankfully, his limbs are still attached when I go in to say, "Good Morning," but it looks as though his stuffed animals friends have been battling to the death.
After getting everyone fed, watching a little Super Why, and answering emails, Jakson decides that, contrary to normal routine, it is now bath time. He insists on having a bubble bath, (which I don't mind, although frankly, it's harder to tell when he's pooped in the bathtub with the bubbles in the way), and drinking an enormous amount of the tub water--just a little too Miss Hanniganesque to suit me. I hand him a sippy cup full of nice clear water from the kitchen filter, but I'm the mommy, therefore I know nothing and he goes back to drinking the slightly discolored bath water. I should have realized this would be his preference after watching him eat Mac and Cheese off the floor in the Food Court of the mall. YUM.
I was able to clean the bathroom while Jakson bathed, occasionally checking the tub for floating foreign objects, until Jakson started jumping up and down, yelling that Storey was awake (as if I couldn't hear her, this baby is LOUD) all the while peeing in the bath water that he was drinking only seconds ago. Fabulous.
I fed Storey while he finished playing (yes, that's right, he peed in the water and I continued to let him play in it-so sue me), Jakson ate lunch and now it's nap time for all. I have survived my first morning.
Now if only I could fit getting myself dressed somewhere in there.....

4 comments:

Adam and Melissa said...

What fun! Gotta love the peeing and drinking the bath water. I swear boys know how to be gross from birth. I am still in pj and it's 1! I figured what's the point when I am 1. going nowhere and 2. cleaning my house so I will be gross. Carter ate crayons today since I was coloring with him and then Allison's diaper exploded. I figure, they will live!

The Blaisdell Family said...

Oh the joys of parenting more than one child! I feel for ya. There's somedays where it's all I can do to put a smile on my face because frankly...there's no time to smile sometimes!!

It does get better I promise (I have 3 soon to be 4 kids and I'm still alive:)

Thanks for putting a smile on my face today:)

Shenna said...

Sounds like a great day! Isn't being a mommy of two awesome? :)

Shenna said...

P.S. - I just saw your pictures on Jen's blog. How freaking cute did those turn out?!?

Related Posts with Thumbnails