Thursday, September 11, 2008

In the groove

When I lived at home, every day after school my mom would force us to write a "to do" list on the chalkboard hanging in the kitchen. Every day I balked at the list making, certain that this was just another creative torture my mom had dreamed up.

Flash forward a few years, I sit at a teacher's desk surrounded by neatly organized, clothespinned (that's right, not paperclips, clothespins. Try it sometime. ) stacks of kid written papers. And lists. Lots and lots of lists. Lists of classroom goals, lists of students failing to turn in homework, grocery lists, and 4 or 5 of those illusive "to do" lists. Except this time, I have written them by choice. I LOVE lists. Like if lists were marriageable, I would commit.

My list affair continues as a stay at home mom (aka-Domestic Goddess). I have a notebooks in my purse, on my nightstand, in my kitchen, next to my sewing machine--all specifically designated for lists. I even have one of those chalkboards in my kitchen. I'm a little obsessive. But since Storey's birth, my lists have been neglected. Along with poor Jak. So this week I picked up a notebook and made a new list-An Activity a Day. I wrote each weekday with one fun thing that I would do with Jakson that day---I knew if it wasn't in ink, it might not happen. I vowed to myself that this was not a list that would get neglected.

As a result, this week
  • we fingerpainted (a total bust by the way-we won't be doing this one again for awhile.)


  • made some new friends in the Chick-Fil-A play place while I had a delicious (and somewhat peaceful) meal
  • read books at library storytime and
  • swam at Natalie's house
  • And as an added bonus, we even got creative with a packing tube that came in the mail!

Hey-I never said that my ideas were awesome, just entertaining for a 2 year old.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails