Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Edward Shmedward

As I have mentioned before, I am not a huge Twilight fan. I don't get the whole "Edward Love" phenomenon. I dated Edward in high school--controlling, moody, possessive--frankly, the whole experience left me wanting. Yet grown women in my acquaintance fall all over themselves at the mere mention of his name. Can someone please explain this to me? On second thought, maybe I don't want to know--my eyes may not fare well after being rolled that many times. They haven't completely recovered from actually reading the book--with lines like "scintillating arms", my eyes got sore from all the rolling. BTW-did anyone else notice the randomness of the adjectives thrown around. Definition of "scintillating": brilliantly lively, stimulating, or witty. He's so perfect that even his arms make fabulous conversation?

I realize that I am an anomaly amongst women, but it's nice find a kindred spirit every once in awhile. It helps when that someone also writes something that you can just say "AMEN" to and be done. So here the link to a kindred spirit (the title alone should tempt you, but I will also tell you that she actually catalogues the references to Edward's beauty IN DETAIL-hilarious.)
I want to beat Edward Cullen with a stick

AMEN.

P.S. As a great advocate of literature and reading in general, I fully appreciate that this series (like H.P.) has motivated many non-readers to pick up a book--and for that, I am grateful.

9 comments:

Annie said...

You and me. Same boat.

Leanna said...

what the heck edward is not possessive or moody or any of those things! Didn't you read the series??? in every one of the books he told her she could have gone to jacob. anyway if you are gonna complain about anyone it should be bella. shes the basket case!

p.s. I totally just bought a "Team Edward" shirt at the mall. it rocks :)

KatieB said...

i refuse to read the books. i'm too scared i'll get sucked in.

+AM+ said...

this is the greatest thing you have ever written. please tell me more women actually have the sense you do...

Rachel said...

Bethany: I don't know you, but I can see why Zak fell in love with you. My sisters (and friends) keep trying to get me to read these books (I am an avid reader/nerd), but just hearing them tell me what the books are about and why they like them made we want to vomit a little. Seriously?

I felt like I was the only women who felt this way, so I, too, am glad to meet a kindred spirit or two.

Maylene said...

I have to post on this blog! I totally agree :) Actually I never even finished reading past the second book (so I guess it's a little unfair for me to pass judgement) but I just didn't really get the whole big deal with the books in the first place! I wish J.K. Rowling would start a new series or something...she seriously has the unique storyline and creative gift that I admire!

Vanessa said...

I'm on your side, Bethany

hillari said...

nice to know I'm not alone!

Here is the post that I thought was pretty funny.
http://mormonhusbands.blogspot.com/2008/02/twilight-series-for-dummies-and-totally.html
He has a spoof of the last book as well, but I haven't read it, so I can't vouch for its humor. But everything I've read on his site has been good!

Patti said...

AMEN to that sista!
Next week is the "all things Stephenie Meyer" book club where I will be the crasher with my "team Jacob" shirt just to cause a ruckus. It is so true that we are few and far between.

Related Posts with Thumbnails