Thursday, August 28, 2008

Nie Nie Day-Silent Auction



**Auction closed-see results here. Thanks to all of the generous bidders!!**

I'm not a big blog hopper, so before Sunday I had never heard of the girl called NieNie and her little family. I only stumbled across their story because Design Mom (because who DOESN'T read Design Mom?) and Kelly (whom I pretend to be friends with, but really she's just an amazing photographer who took our pictures once) both posted about the family and the tragic events that have surrounded their lives this past week. Since Sunday, I've found myself thinking about the Nielson family, wondering how their 4 young children are handling the separation, hoping that prayers in their behalf are answered, and wishing there was a way that I could help. Read more about the plane crash and the couple's recovery process here.

Design Mom has posted all week about the silent auction that she is hosting to raise money to contribute to the couple's hospital/medical bills. Kelly, a good friend of Nie's, is also hosting a silent auction--but I am neither a friend or an extremely popular blog writer, and figured there was nothing more to do. I mean, would I want a complete stranger trying to raise funds for me? And then I realized, that yes, yes I would. It's MONEY-the perfect gift. Neither the wrong size or the wrong color.

So here I am.


Up for auction is a custom, one-of-a-kind quilt made of your favorite child's baby clothes!! The quilt layout will follow the patchwork pattern in the photo, but will feature squares made from YOUR memories. The finished quilt measures about 40 inch square and will be backed in your choice of coordinating fabric. All proceeds will go directly to the Christian and Stephanie Paypal account.

I figure that I don't have lots of money, but I do have nap times that I can spend making an adorable heirloom quilt....so I am donating a week of nap times to the cause.

Here's how it will work:
  1. Place your bid by leaving a comment with your bid amount in the comments section of this post.
  2. The bidding will start at $50. All bids must be in one dollar increments (in other words, don't bid $51.50, rather bid $52 even)
  3. The highest bid/comment as of Saturday at midnight is the winner.
  4. Your entire bid goes straight to the family's fund. The winner will pay for their item via the Stephanie and Christian PayPal account.
  5. The winner will send me a copy of the PayPal receipt and the quilt project will begin!
  6. Remember that this is all about raising money for Stephanie and Christian, the quilt is just a bonus!! Bidding starts at $50!!
  7. If you have any questions about the quilt, please feel free to email me at bethanycr{at}gmail{dot}com.
  8. ***The response to this has been so enormous that I have decided to list some smaller baby clothes quilts (20 inch square) of the same pattern in my Etsy shop with $10 of the proceeds from each quilt sold going directly to the Nielson Family Recovery Fund. Thanks to everyone for being so incredibly generous!! I am blown away!
  9. A few more things you may want to know:
  • Made in a smoke/pet free home
  • Finished product is machine quilted
  • Choice of cozy flannel or cotton squares in a solid color
  • Winner will need to send me 35-40 pieces of clothing to be cut into squares.
  • Like anything handmade, the quilt will not be absolutely perfect. Isn't that the beauty of handmade?!?
There is a full list of all participating bloggers on Design Mom. Take a look and see what else is up for auction.


13 comments:

Dawn Hudson said...

I will start off the bid at 51.00.
How nice of you to do this right after having a new baby of your own.

Helen said...

I bid $80. Thanks!

steve u. said...

You're amazing to do this!

$100.

Danielle said...

$150--love your quilts, love the cause

Courtney said...

$175. there are great people like you in this sometimes scary world...what a joy!

Adrienne Hansen said...

$200-This is awesome!

FishyGirl said...

What a generous thing to do. $250 is my bid.

dlette said...

I'll bid $300. Thanks

Jennifer said...

Oh..what a wonderful idea. I've been wondering what to do with those special baby outfits that I really don't want to part with. I'll bid $350

Anonymous said...

My name is Alan Dayton I can be reached at alandayton at gmail dot com.

I bit $375.oo.

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

$400

tracie said...

$700.00

this is an awesome donation!!! i'm all giddy at the thought of having this done for my girls!!

laura said...

We're not due until Jan, so I'm not bidding or have baby clothes to give away yet. But I wanted to tell you how WONDERFUL this auction is.

Related Posts with Thumbnails