Monday, August 04, 2008

Brother in Training

Zak and I have been discussing different ways to help Jakson adjust to the idea of a sibling. Letting him take over the bassinet was not one of them.... My idea was to get him a doll that he could "practice" with. Zak was okay with the whole doll thing, he did grow up playing Snow White and doesn't seem the worse for it, but I felt weird in the doll aisle at the store, so hadn't actually followed through with my brilliant plan.

Then, last week Target marked half of their toys to 75% off and being the Target junkie that I am, I just couldn't resist going three or four times. On my third trip, I found a BOY Cabbage Patch Kid (he was wearing a tie and everything!!) for less than $6 and decided to splurge.

At home we got him out of the package, showed Jak how to be "gentle" and handed him over. Of course Jakson promptly gouged the thing in the eyes and then dragged him around by his tie. Not sure if this is what I meant by good training..... The night ended more positively than it began when Jakson laid the doll in the bassinet, turned on some nice music (his idea-how can anyone sleep without music?), smothered (rather than covered-I'll have to watch that in real life) the "baby" with a blanket and shut the door. Progress???

I unsmothered him before taking the picture...

5 comments:

Christina Joy said...

We just bought Mcclellan a baby doll too! Its one of those "real" looking baby dolls (minus any boy or girl parts!), and he's had some questionable judgment calls in big-brotherhood as well! I want to see if we can invest in a sling and a crib for her so he can start practicing what Mommy will be doing for the next year or so!

Zak said...

Let the record show that I was about 3 years old (I did not "grow up" playing these games) and heavily influenced by my older sister who still to this day thinks she is a Disney Princess!

Rachel said...

Hi Zak! Thanks for visiting the blog! I was so happy to hear from you and see that you are still alive and kicking. (And that you have somewhat normal hair. Hehe. I'm just trying to "pick a fight.") How on earth did you get such a hot and creative wife? And your son is adorable. And good luck with the new little one!

Natalie Jane said...

I love your Etsy shop! I would love to trade some handmade earrings for a Tutu! Let me know if you are interested.

Covey and Justin said...

We have an anatomically correct cabbage patch doll that was my brothers. It's cute and its uncircumsized (just like EJ). His favorite thing is putting the diapers on. The funny thing is that he refuses to use a "paper diaper." He wants cloth only for his baby.

Related Posts with Thumbnails