Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Growth

There has been a lot of growth around our house in the past couple of months.

  1. We noticed last night that Jakson's toes are starting to hang off the edge of his flip flops-it kind of makes me sad when he grows out of things because it reminds me that he won't be little forever.
  2. Our little garden is flourishing-"little" being the key word here-we have only planted a couple of herbs for now. We'll plant lettuce and onions in October--real food!! Now I have all of this beautiful basil and I have no idea what I am going to do with it. Does anyone have any good recipes? I also bought this semi-dwarf orange tree for Father's Day that will replace the poisonous oleander tree currently in our backyard.

  3. The biggest growth has been in my girth. This is why I deserve at least 3/4 of the bed at night. Now if I could convince Zak of this fact....

6 comments:

cece said...

Pesto! Make tons and freeze it. My basil grew out of control too and those are my plans. It's also great in salads, cut in small pieces with greens! Good Luck! If you need a good pesto recipe let me know and I will email the one my friend sent to me. It's super easy and last forever when you freeze it.

Good Luck!

stacy said...

thanks so much! i got my package today, and it couldnt have come on a better day...my birtday. it was so cute. thanks again so much. just cuz this swap is done don't be a stranger. i would love to still hear from you. love the man eater dress. it is the best. it was too nice of you to send it to me!

Brit said...

I also have basil in my garden and I LOVE when I have a bunch on hand. If you have a lot that needs to be made up the my Creamy Low Fat Pesto is the best!!!
4 garlic cloves unpeeled
3 cups fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup fresh parm cheese
1/4 cup part skim ricotta cheese
1 shallot minced
2 TBL extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. toast the garlic in a skillet over medium heat for 7 minutes. Peel and mince
2. Process everything in a food processsor for about 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper to taste

I make a double batch and then put the pesto in ice cube trays and stick them in the freezer. Then when they're nice and frozen I pop them into gallon freezer bags. Then you can take a cube for a simple lunch over pasta with chicken or you can take out a bunch and make a big pesto pasta salad. I made some pesto pasta salad for me and my friend at the pool yesterday and it was really good! Enjoy!

I also like to put fresh basil in my pasta sauces or lasgna. So yum!

Bridget said...

Jakson looks so cute and so do you! I think you deserve a portion of the bed for each month you are pregnant so that makes just about 8/9 ths or the entire bed if you round up ;o).

Your herbs look great. My husband loves Tomato, basil, and shrimp pasta but you have to like seafood for that one.

Danielle said...

Pesto is so good!!! If you pinch off your flowers at the top of your basil, your leaves will get bigger and taste better! Just a tip I learned the hard way. Use the sweet sista french bread recipe and put some pesto on it! YUMMY

Erin said...

I was so about to say pesto, but CeCe beat me to it. Basil also goes really well with orange so you could make a yummy topping for fish with basil & orange segments (and maybe some jalapeno and purple onion)....or just get some tomatoes & mozz and you're set for life!

And I'll admit that there was an upside to Kevin working in Montana for the last 4 months of my pregnancy...Momma got the bed alllllll to herself :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails