Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The demise of the pig

Let me start out by saying that we aren't pet people. We've tried the whole "having a pet" concept and it went badly-my children will be deprived and I've come to terms with it.

Obviously, the lack of pets in our home driven Jakson to the brink of animal obsession (Audra-do you think we could borrow Luke? That might satiate his desire). He loves all plastic action figure animals, all cartoon animals, and insists on touching every stray dog that crosses our path ("path" meaning to the mailbox-did you really think we take long leisurely walks in this heat?) much to my chagrin. His love for animals is so intense that it causes him to go into sporadic convulsions when he doesn't get to take them home. If he could talk, I'm sorry to say that he would probably be a tree hugger driving all of our gas prices up by defending the polar bear.

Seeing as I am a brilliant mother, I came up with a solution to our pet problem-a piggy bank. And not just any piggy bank, but the one that houses our meager cruise fund (when I say "our" I am not including Jakson-he's not invited-and by the way, we're always looking for donations....just thought I'd throw that out there). Now he gets to practice his fine-motor skills (ohhh, fine motor skills, I AM a good mother. Actually...I just made that up) AND have adventures with his new pet all day long- or, at least 10 minutes-his attention span usually wanes after that.

This has worked rather well for the past few days. Jakson and his buddy the pig....



But today, as luck would have it, the coins kept getting stuck in the hole under the pig (not exactly his butt....not really sure what body part it constitutes as-piggy bank anatomy is not one of my fortes), so Jakson did what any red blooded boy will do in a sticky situation and pounded the defenseless (and severely stopped up) pig on the ground. The poor pig never even saw it coming (did I mention this was a ceramic pig and we have wood floors? Maybe I'm not such a great mom after all). Poor piggy went the way of the trash can in four pieces.

Back the pet drawing board again....

8 comments:

j&krosser said...

So thats what he broke when you were on the phone with Kit. Jackson must have been thinkging if I can't go on the cruise I am going to take their money no matter what even if that means I lose a Pig friend. I don't have donation money for you but we will go on the cruise with you.--Jaden

FamilyKolbaba said...

Perhaps watching his best friend shatter and die at his own fingertips has cured him of this recent obsession? And perhaps not. I'll pray for you.

Melissa said...

You are seriously one of the funniest people I know. I love reading your stories. I am surprised the pig lasted that long! If I think of anything to help with the whole pet thing, I will let you know.

Amanda XOX said...

Our kiddo has a plastic bottle shaped piggy bank and daddy gives him a penny nearly everyday after work to add to it. Despite dropping and shaking the bank it hasn't busted yet! Sorry your piggy broke!

How about animal stickers or fridge magnets to tame your wild child for a while? Our little one takes his animal magnets to church and puts them on the back of chairs when we sit in the overflow. It's quite amusing!!

Hollie said...

HEY BETH ITS HOLLIE HOLYOAK! LOVE YOUR BLOG. UR POOR PIGGY! CHECK US OUT AT WWW.THEHOLYSMOKES.BLOGSPOT.COM

Kerry said...

You're hilarious! Poor Jakson! He can play with Monster any time you're in the DFW area. ; )

The Askeroths said...

FurReal Friends makes great toy animals. We've successfully put off getting a puppy for two years now thanks to their products. Chuck them all you want and they just keep moving.

Audra Bollard said...

Luke would make your other pets look tame.

And Ethan has an adorable talking piggy bank that is plastic--ie-unbreakable. Much better.

Related Posts with Thumbnails