Sunday, May 11, 2008

My Mother's Day Resolution

For me, Mother's Day is a time to reflect-reflect on the relationships with my mother, mother in law and child. This leads me to memories of teenage ridiculousness that I put my mother through-and I am sure to suffer through in full force in about 14 years from August-thankful for her sacrifice, patience, understanding, and most of all unconditional love. An unconditional love that I never understood until 2 years and 1 month ago (sorry Zak :)). How grateful I am that the Lord trusts me to be a mother. There are (many) moments of frustration, but when I slow down, I realize that most of it just does not matter in the long run-what matters is not that he only says 10 words and throws extremely dramatic tantrums, but the messy kisses followed by the sound "BA!" and that only a cuddle from mommy will make the pain go away-those are the things that I hope to remember about my energetic, tow headed two year old. On this Mother's Day I resolve to pay attention more to the "little things" and to take advantage of each moment that I have with my children-even if it is in the middle of the night....

From Anna Quindlen's article "On Being Mom":

But the biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while doing this. I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three of them, sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4 and 1.

And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Thanks for the sweet comments. We all get our "comeuppance" (sp?) eventually. That very Anna quote was used by a man in our Sacrament Meeting yesterday. Happy Mother's Day to you too!

j&krosser said...

I need to follow your example. After church (with my wild child) I resolved not to have more than 2 children.

bethany said...

Woah, woah, woah-I never professed to wanting more than two kids :) I'm right there with you Kit-especially right now-being pregnant doesn't make me want to ever be pregnant again!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails