Tuesday, May 06, 2008

It's not all in my head


I'm kind of hoping that the adage "a difficult pregnancy equals an easy baby" is true--this child better have a halo strapped to her head.

I had a doctor's appointment today because I've almost passed out 6 or 7 times in the past two weeks-at the grocery store, Hobby Lobby, Target.... Zak and I had made the decision that I am not to run any errands in the morning (when these episodes usually happen) to ensure Jakson's safety. I'm so afraid that I'm gonna actually pass out in the grocery store as he eats his free cookie that we've discussed making a name tag for him that says, "The blonde lady on the floor is my mom. Please call this number to have me picked up."

After being told "dizziness is a normal symptom of pregnancy" about 10 times and been given ineffective remedies over the phone, I'm relieved to finally get some answers from my doctor. She diagnosed me with "benign positional vertigo" and unlike preeclampsia (the fun problem I had with Jakson), this issue can come and go throughout the pregnancy-so in two weeks or two months I may be fine-but until then, the doctor has put me on morning bed rest-similar to what Zak and I had already discussed.

So if you need me, I'll be here, lying on the couch.

10 comments:

Covey and Justin said...

I too had passing out episodes with both of my pregnancies. Mine was usually related to blood sugar getting too low (especially in the mornings). I tried the glucose tablets they sell in the diabetic section. It really helped me. The seabands also helped me with the dizziness. Hope you feel better soon!!

Browns said...

I am sorry to hear all this:( You really need to take me up on the offer to watch Jakson. I could even pick him up if you want. I am seriously free this friday, monday, tuesday, wednesday....they would have so much fun!

Amanda said...

Wow, I've never heard of this with pregnancy. Take care of yourself! Maybe strap a pillow to your belly?

Veronica said...

Hi Bethany! Sorry your feeling so yucky. This same exact thing happened to me this last pregnancy. At the start of my third trimester I started "almost" passing out. Turned out I had severely low blood pressure and vertigo. I had to drink a TON of water and stay off my feet all the time, otherwise I would faint. Good news...it went away as soon as the baby was out. I hope you feel better! BTW I love reading your blog, but I'm terrible about commenting. I'm more of a blog stalker! email me if you'd like to see ours vnandrew555@yahoo.com

Audra Bollard said...

The things we go through to get these little people here . . . good luck Beth, I will be thinking of you.

Cheryl said...

Pregnancy can be crazy. Hope things ease up soon or the days fly by so she can come. By the way I love your menus. I've been stuck in a rut on cooking lately and wanted to try something new.

Much More Than A Mom said...

I had those problems too - I went on early sick leave to make sure it wouldn't happen driving or in my classroom. It sucks, but went away as soon as baby was out both times.

Annalise said...

Look at your cute family! Where are you guys now? We are in Vegas just for the summer and we want to see you guys. Let me know if that's ok!

Monkey's Momma said...

Make sure to drink plenty of fluids! I'm a nurse...can't help putting in my 2 cents worth :) Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you feel better soon.

Melissa said...

Well I'll start calling you in the morning, cause then I know you'll be there. And if you don't answer the phone, I'll be offended. During Annette's pregnancy, I would often feel like I was going to pass out, and it was always in the morning when I was getting ready...I wonder if it was the same thing as you or different, hmmm...

Related Posts with Thumbnails