Monday, January 21, 2008

Out with the old.....

I tried to get these into two columns to take up less space, but to no avail. I wanted to get these off my sidebar so that I can start a new list for 2008. I enjoyed reading Audra's list of her favorite/least favorite books this past year, so I am going to add a short list of my own.

Favorite Fiction
Afternoons with Emily by Rose MacMurray-while this wasn't an incredibly fast paced book, it was very interesting to read the story of Emily Dickinson (someone I didn't know much about) from a fictional friend's perspective. This book had its share of intrigue which kept me, well, intrigued :)

Best Recommendation
These is My Words by Nancy Turner. Zak's cousin's wife, Andrea, recommended this book to me and although it takes place in AZ, I'd never heard of it. I am so glad that she steered me toward this book because it was amazing!! Now, I highly recommend it to you!

Favorite Historical Fiction
Since I read so much of this genre, I decided that it needed its own category. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. I usually choose books involving British history, so this read was definitely different for me. In fact I didn't even pick it up of my own accord because it was a book club pick-it was really fascinating to read about the culture in China and the tradition of foot binding.

Easy Read
Because I read so much juvenile and young adult fiction, this was the hardest category to choose a favorite for, but I finally settled on Fairest by Gail Carson Levine. I love all of her other books (she also wrote Ella Enchanted, which you should not judge based on the movie) and this one was not a disappointment-just a fun, light read with a pinch of feminism and healthy self image.

Favorite Non-Fiction
Because I'm a political junkie (and this was a Christmas present from Zak), it had to be An Inconvenient Book by Glenn Beck. He has a great sense of humor and looks at situations from an original angle, which makes this book an interesting and enlightening read. And as far as non-fiction goes, was very easy to wade through

Cheesiest Book
This is a real toss up between the Twilight Series (Stephany Meyer) and Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson. I first read Twilight for book club, but ended up finishing the series just to see what the hype is all about. These are perfect books for a teenage girl, but not so much for me. In fact I can't stand Edward because he reminds me of the possessive/jealous tendencies I once saw in a certain teenage boy I dated. Edward Shmeward. And Suzanne's Diary? I'm assuming it is very similar to anything by Nicholas Sparks-judging from the movies that have been made from his books, I've never read anything by him.

And here is the complete list of books from 2007
  • Princess Academy by Shannon Hale
  • Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson
  • Prairie Whispers by Frances Arrington
  • An Inconvienent Book by Glenn Beck
  • New Moon by Stephanie Meyer
  • Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer
  • Austenland by Shannon Hale
  • Happy Housewives by Darla Shine
  • Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
  • The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
  • Measure of a Lady by Deanne Gist
  • Cat O' Nine Tales by Jeffrey Archer
  • Afternoons with Emily by Rose MacMurray
  • The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
  • The Last Days by Scott Westerfield
  • Specials by Scott Westerfield
  • Fairest by Gail Carson Levine
  • Song of the Magdalene by Donna Jo Napoli
  • Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler
  • Searching for Anne Frank by Susan Rubin
  • Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
  • Haters by Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez
  • HP and the Deathly Hollows by J.K. Rowling
  • Prom by Laurie Halse Anderson
  • Here Lies the Librarian by Richard Peck
  • Shopoholic and Baby by Sophie Kinsella
  • Pay the Piper by Jane Yolen
  • Monster by Walter Dean Myers
  • The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette by Carolly Erickson
  • I Heard that Song Before by Mary Higgins Clark
  • These is My Words by Nancy Turner
  • Lord Deverill's Secret by Amanda Grange
  • Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman
  • The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
  • Darcy's Story by Janet Aylmer
  • Size Twelve is Not Fat by Meg Cabot
  • Indiscretion by Jude Morgan

1 comments:

Clyde J Criddle said...

You really like to read, don't you? You haven't changed much.

Related Posts with Thumbnails