Friday, January 04, 2008

New Year's Goals

I don't know if I like the sound of "resolutions" because so often, they get forgotten about by February, or they are so outlandish and unattainable (I will lose 30 lbs. by March 1st) that I give up quickly....but I do like goals and while I won't be sharing all of them, here are a few realistic goals I have made.

1. Drink more water. When I was teaching, I kept a huge water bottle on my desk and I filled it up at least twice a day...now, not so much. Maybe I should get myself a desk....
2. Take Jak outside to play at least 1/2 hour a day. Sounds easy, but have you ever met July in Phoenix? This very interesting article about kids' bones and the sun has motivated me.
3. Finish the little room under the stairs. We've been wanting to knock out a wall in our pantry since before we moved in, but it just hasn't happened yet. Zak, this gives you a whole year!! :)
4. Take a class. I tried to take a creative writing class last semester at the CC here, but not enough people signed up. They didn't offer it this semester, so maybe during the summer?
5. Work on food storage more diligently. Last night I was asked to teach at Enrichment about starting our food storage and I realized that I was asked because that's about as far as I've ever gotten...the start line. I should be taking my own advice and following the steps I outlined to everyone else :)
6. Save for a new car. This may be one of those "lose 30 lbs. before March goals" and definitely not something I can do with out sitting down with Zak and creating an outline (don't really think I'll be able to buy a car with the money I make from Etsy, well not a drivable one at least), but he's still driving the Civic and I'm not sure how much longer that's going to last.
7. No more Nick-not really a goal, just something else to add to my "List" due to moral or political views. Their decision regarding Jamie Lynn and Zoey 101 have forced me to make mine (the issue for me is not that she is pregnant and 16. I feel sorry for her ignorance and even more sorry for the baby, but if she wants to ruin her life, so be it. My issue is with Nickelodeon continuing to run a show that has millions of preteen girl viewers idolizing a character that they know in real life is pregnant-it will be glamorized and look fun-and I don't believe that is appropriate. And if any of you have come across any preteens or tweens lately, you know how influenced they are by the media...) Sorry Joe, Jakson will not be helping you search for clues again anytime soon.
8. Balance my life so I don't get so overwhelmed. Sometimes I pile too many things on my plate-need to try to take it easy more. Zak has been trying to encourage me to slow down for awhile now, but not until recently have I really taken his advice. Need to continue to take the time to BREATHE for the benefit of everyone.

There you have it, some of my goals. Now that they are written down, maybe they will be easier to keep. :)

1 comments:

Veldon and Joyce said...

Bethany, check out my latest blog post. It might help with your food storage. Great list of resolutions.

Related Posts with Thumbnails