Friday, October 26, 2007

Medical fun

This morning Jakson had outpatient surgery and got tubes in his ears. He has had so many ear infections (7 since February!), that the doctor recommended this procedure be done. The speech therapist, pediatrician, and ENT all suspect that ear infections are the main reason that he isn't talking yet, so we are all hoping that this helps him.

I am so ridiculous about anything medical. I think I asked every doctor/nurse that I've seen in the past week (about 10) if there have ever been any adverse effects to the anesthesia during the operation. It made me so nervous to think of Jakson being knocked out with medicine. He's just so little. Zak says my problem is that I don't have any family members that have undergone surgery-he wasn't very empathetic to my fears :) Throughout our wait, he proceeded to name every single surgery that his family members have had. What a comfort. (I love you, Zak) My heart goes out to those parents whose children have real medical problems and they have to watch as their little ones have major surgery. I can't imagine.... I wouldn't handle it well which is probably why I haven't been given that trial.

My worries were in vain, all went well and Jakson is upstairs sleeping. Hopefully, the tubes will be a blessing and we will see some improvement with the amount of ear infections he gets. I've got to go and finish up his costume for tomorrow night's ward Halloween party while he's still asleep. Exciting!

5 comments:

Katie Brown said...

i bet tubes are the answer. i have a friend whose daughter was impossible to understand. it took until she was 3 to figure out she had a ton of fluid in her ears and that's why--she couldn't hear to make the different sounds. good luck!

rawhide said...

good luck to baby jakson with the tubes in his ears. i work at primary children´s hospital in salt lake on the surgical unit and i love getting to take care of the kids.......i hope that he starts talking soon!!!

p.s. next time you are in utah, i would love to see you....heather clayton said she got to visit with you!

j&krosser said...

Okay this has nothing to do with the tubes BUT where are family pictures??

bethany said...

She's sending me a disk of them-she has to Photoshop them first, ya know so you can't see my many flaws :) Maybe she'll Photoshop out those extra 30 pounds....

Audra Bollard said...

Hope this helps and everything goes smoothly.

I always think I have it all together when my kids go to the Dr., but it is HARD to think of your own child in any sort of pain! You are not the only paranoid one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails