Thursday, October 04, 2007

Lessons, Laughter and a call to the Poison Control Center

Due to computer crashes and other complications, I haven't been blogging lately. Here's a little update on recent happenings...

  • Zak has decided to teach himself to play the piano. At this point he is working on keeping his fingers round and F-A-C-E. It's fun to listen to him play, although he has taken to reading me everything in the lesson books, with commentary. When he plays Carnegie Hall, I'll let you know....
  • Borrowing an idea from Montessori, I filled a bucket with rice and gave Jakson some measuring cups and an ice cube tray to play in the rice. It ended up all over Jakson and eventually in his mouth. Maybe we'll try again when he's a little bigger and not as hungry all the time :)


  • Speaking of eating things, a couple of weeks ago Jakson was eating a chocolate cereal bar while roaming around the church building. He has a fascination with toilets-loves to flush them, splash in the water-and escaped into the women's bathroom while Zak was watching him. Unable to go after him, Zak came and told me to retrieve Jak from the bathroom. By the time I got to the scene, he had already lost interest and was following some other kids around. A mom was standing with the kids and told me that she saw Jak walking out of the bathroom with a dripping hand and something brown clutched in it (the cereal bar) and she thought he'd found a "treasure" in the toilet. Gross. Even grosser? Jakson was still eating the soaked cereal bar.
  • Jakson was finally evaluated by a speech therapist from the state. She determined that he is on a 7 month communication level. That means that he is more than 50% behind in his speech development. Fortunately, he qualifies Arizona's early intervention program which means that a speech therapist will be coming to our home to work with him until he is three. At that point, he will be evaluated again and they will decide if he needs to be enrolled in a special preschool. The whole speech thing is something that I am concerned, but not worried about-in other words, I don't lose sleep over it. He is using quite a few signs (the speech therapist said that he uses more signs than the other kids she sees), so he is still able to get his point across. I have friends who swear that they hear him speak words, and possibly sentences, under his breath-I wouldn't be surprised. He's very "willful"-the speech therapist used this word to describe him. That's a nice way of saying it :)
  • Yesterday Jakson was going through the basket where we keep all of his diapering stuff for downstairs. He was stacking up the diaper in nice neat piles, entertaining himself. I looked up and saw that he had a tube of Balmex (diaper rash cream) in his hand. I didn't think much of it because he doesn't know how to get caps off yet and he seemed enthralled with stacking things. The next time I checked on him (about a minute later), he had used his teeth to puncture holes in the tube and was sucking the cream out. Obviously he isn't too picky about what he puts in his mouth (reference toilet story above), but diaper rash cream? What is the appeal? I read the back-"If injested, call your local Poison Control Center" Great, I'm a terrible parent. I called, he's fine-Ed told me that it's only bad if a kid eats like half the tube. I think that was Jakson's goal, but I foiled his plan. Now you know for next time you find your child happily sucking on a tube of Balmex.

  • I made these delicious cookies a couple of days ago (hope you don't mind that I stole the picture Annie!). You MUST make them!! They are so, so, so delicious. Zak said nothing should be that good. And there's not even chocolate in them. I got the recipe from Sweet Sista'-check out her blog cause she has a ton of other yummy things to make!

    New Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies
    1 1/4 cups butter, softened
    1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 large egg
    2 tsp vanilla
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    3 cups oats, rolled or quick

    Preheat oven to 375F.
    Beat butter and sugars with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy. Add egg and vanilla, beating well.
    Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl and whisk together. Add to the butter mixture. Add oats; stir well. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets lined with parchment papre. Bake at 375F for 9-11 minutes. Cool on pan 2 to 3 minutes. Remove cookies from pan and cool on wire racks.
    Spread 1 tablespoon cream filling over bottom side of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, right side up.

    Cream Filling
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Beat ingredients together until combined and light and fluffy.

  • The deadline for the apron swap I signed up for was Monday. I sent out an apron, a dishtowel that I appliqued with matched fabric (only my second applique ever-it's kind of rough, but I think she'll still like it) and a Halloween hot pad that I embellished as well. I'm excited to get my new apron in the mail! (If you want to sign up for all kinds of swaps, check out swap-bot!!)


  • 3 comments:

    j&krosser said...

    Those cookies look so dang good!! I am glad the Jak is alive and doing well.

    HotMama said...

    I love, love, love special ed preschool (in MPS AZ)! My son (2 1/2) qualified and it is one SWEET deal (3 days a week, 3 hours a day, short bus pick-up and drop-off, FREE!!) Can't beat that!! Plus, his speech development is exactly like my 14 year old - who won't stop talking. Free preschool, no worries, Wahoo! Sounds like the rest of your little guy's development is just fine too, so enjoy it.

    Shambonies said...

    hi so i made the cookies yesterday!! And they were so delish.. way way better than the store bought oatmeal cream pies!! so thanks for posting such a yummy treat!

    Related Posts with Thumbnails