Thursday, September 13, 2007

30 Things Before I Die

I like lists. Zak would probably amend that to say that I'm obsessed with lists, but he's not here to correct me. Sometimes I write something on a "to-do" list that I've already finished just so I can cross it off. I'm always tempted to write "to-do" and then list about 30 things, but "it is not requisite that man (or woman in this case) should run faster than he has strength" (Mosiah 4:27), so I try not to do too much at once. I keep lists of the craft projects I'd eventually like to do and the gifts I need to make, bookmarks of recipes I want to try and books I want to read, and catalogs of classes that I want to take. It can be very overwhelming if I start thinking about it too much. That's why I try to write them down, then they are on paper, documented, and not swimming around in my head.

When I was turning the guest room back into a craft/play room a couple of days ago, I found another one of these "to-do" lists, but it was a list of over 100 things I want to do before I die. I wrote it during my first year of teaching, when I was single, so there are a couple of things (like get married) that I can actually mark off, but others that I don't even remember ever wanting to do (go snowmobiling?-did I really write this? I hate snow!). I won't list them all for you, but here are 30 of the things that I want to do before I die (well, the me six years ago wanted to do-most of them still hold true). I will be doing a lot of traveling in the future if I'm going to accomplish my list!

  • Learn how to paint (water color)
  • Visit Paris in fall
  • Work on a political campaign
  • Hang glide (honestly-was this me?)
  • Get something published
  • Meet the prophet
  • Build a camp
  • Work at the camp I build
  • Visit Thailand and eat real Thai food
  • Take ballroom class (Zak got me ballroom classes for us last Christmas! We still haven't done it, but I'll be able to mark this one off-yeah!)
  • Invent something
  • Get a Master's degree
  • Meet Chris Carrabba
  • Go on an Africa safari
  • Serve a mission
  • Try out for American Idol (only one more year, after that I'll be too old!)
  • Own a BMW
  • Feed an alligator a marshmallow (A guy I once dated told me alligators liked them!)
  • Live in another country with my family-Guam, you failed me!
  • Hear Jim Trelease speak-he's the book gutter guy
  • Take a writing class
  • Learn how to fly fish (too much River Runs Through It?)
  • Keep in touch with the Northwoods girls-not making this up, it really is written on here!
  • Have a job where I wear a suit and work in a big building
  • Be on a jury
  • Have a library in my house
  • Be invited to a state dinner at the White House
  • Take my kids to Disney World
  • Have Grandma's life story published for kids and grandkids (getting close to that one!)
  • Teach my kids to love reading!-a work in progress.
What are some things you want to do or see in your lifetime?

7 comments:

Katie Brown said...

beth, you put me to shame! all i want to do is eat butterfinger ice cream and read a good book! you should totally try out for american idol though. then we can have a back story about a mom who is actually married...

bethany said...

Ice cream and a good book sound great, you have to remember that when I wrote this, I was a very ambitious single person :)

Audra Bollard said...

I love it Bethy. I like lists too. Back in the day I used to make a list the night before I went to bed of things to do the next day and the first item was "wake up," so that I could immediately "accomplish something" in the morning to cross off (my family will NEVER let me forget that I did this--I can't believe I really did this).

You are quite ambitious. Reading your list makes me tired, but also makes me think I should dream a little more and have confidence I'll be doing something besides washing throw-up off clothes someday. Oh, and I'm so proud we Northwoods girls made it on the same list as that hot guy!

Melissa said...

I wanted to skydive. But now I can cross that off my list! Yeah, for me! It was awesome!!

Melissa

Bryan & Jen said...

Beth, I have met Jim Trelease. He's great friends with my old Principal and came and spoke a few times to us. He's great. If I ever hear that he is coming, I'll let you know. :)

Leanna said...

feeding a marshmallow to an alligator? you know what happens when you give a mouse a cookie. I dunno if you should go that farrr

Anne said...

All worthy goals. Reminds me of the list in "A Walk to Remember". If you don't write it down and plan for it, it probably won't happen.

Related Posts with Thumbnails