Friday, August 03, 2007

I Heart Cafe Rio

When we lived in Utah, we ate at Cafe Rio a lot! That delicious creamy tomatillo dressing is oh so good. It worked out well then because we lived 5 minutes from Cafe Rio. I still crave it all the time and fortunately, we have TWO here in Phoenix (the only place outside of Utah), but they are on the other side of town-plus, eating out all the time gets a little pricey. So I decided it was time to take matters into my own kitchen. I found a couple of imitation recipes, and changed them up until I got what I felt was a good replica.

Cafe Rio Creamy Tomatillo Dressing

3 fresh tomatillos, cut into quarters
1 package Ranch Buttermilk Dressing mix-make sure you get the one that says "Buttermilk"
1 cup mayo
2 limes
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup fresh chopped cilantro
2 cloves crushed garlic

Put the tomatillos under the broiler for about 7 minutes or until soft. Combine all the ingredients in a blender and the refrigerate one hour. This mixture makes a lot of dressing and will last in the fridge for about 3 weeks.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Mique said...

Do you have the recipes for the sweet pork & the chile lime rice? I have them if you'd like them....and I'll have to try your version of the dressing.
I live in CA (obviously no Cafe Rio here) but get to go when I visit my sil in Mesquite (there's one in St. George) & I've been to the Provo one too a couple of times..sooo yummy.

Crystal said...

I heard that the sweet pork is just marinated in Dr. Pepper in a Crockpot. Our friends have tried it and said it was pretty close to the real deal. We haven't tried it... that's just what we've heard.

j&krosser said...

Man I am going to try that! I love that dressing!

Tip Junkie said...

Yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

The Andrews said...

Thanks for the recipe! I LOOOOVE Cafe Rio and I think that the extra 50 pounds I'm carrying this pregnancy is a direct result of how much I love their food!

Melissa said...

Not true Beth - there is one right across the street from where I work.

Melissa

Related Posts with Thumbnails