Friday, August 10, 2007

Crash, Bang, Boom

No you're not reading the titles flashing across an old Batman re-run, you're seeing the onomatopoeias that best fit our computer situation, or possibly the sound when my foot comes in contact with the computer as it flies out the second story window. We've been having quite a few issues the past year with our blessed laptop (the sound card had stopped working, the computer only charged if there was a book propped under the charger, it took 15 minutes to load Windows and the screen would sometimes remain black, although the computer was on-among other things), but last week it suddenly stopped turning on. So I owned a completely useless $700 mass of garbage-needless to say, I was not happy. After a phone call to the company and their explanation that a class action lawsuit had been filed against Toshiba regarding this particular model (how do I miss these things?), I was able to take it in and get it fixed. Unfortunately, in the process, my hard drive crashed, so I currently have the laptop at home, backing up as many files as I can so that I don't lose everything when they replace it. Frustrating, but at least not costly (an extended warranty as a result to multiple lawsuits covers everything).
Positives: I was able to get a new keyboard, with all of the keys on it. Jakson pulled one of the keys off months ago and we have no idea where it went (and frankly, the way he eats things, I don't want to know). Thankfully, it was not a key that we used much, but maybe now that I have it back-I will use it more ||||||| There I used it. \\\\\\ And again. Zak has been convinced to get a Mac. :)
Negatives: My bookmarks are GONE!! How can this be? I am seriously devastated-there were so many fabulous sites on there that I'm afraid I will never find again. So if you know of a good website that I may have had in my bookmarks, send it to me!! :) Along with the bookmarks, the automatic fill in the space thingy is not working either-you know so I can pay my bills without having to fill in every tedious space? This. is. annoying.
So before you become an unsuspecting victim, check out the Toshiba website to find out if you too qualify for a free computer fix (note: don't check the site if you own, say a Dell or Mac computer-I doubt it will be covered :)) The price it would have cost me to get this stuff fixed on my own would have bought me a new computer. Eventually, I will have the laptop back, although it will be a blank slate-and I will be able to blog on a more consistent basis--until then......

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I just got a new Dell laptop and my hubsand keeps shaming me for not getting a Mac!

MommyKnows said...

I hope it's fixed soon!

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

oh - I can empathize! Susan's computer crashed when she was in Italy and I was using it. SUCH a disaster! We still haven't recovered....

My husband has a Toshiba... no problems yet though...

I need to get a new machine too. Mine is getting very old and refusing to boot up in the morning. (The other day it took ten times before it booted up...)

Related Posts with Thumbnails