Thursday, July 12, 2007

Sew What?

I get on these kicks where I obsess about one hobby for about a month and then I switch. It's like binge eating, except it's never with eating and I don't throw up at the end. Binge hobbying? There are about 5 different activities I rotate through (binge scrapbooking, binge sewing, binge reading- just to name a few) and during that time period I'm really motivated to get things done in that area. It's not on purpose, it's just one of my quirks-for real, is this a sign of OCD?- cause it wouldn't surprise me.

Currently, I'm on the sewing rotation, which is a good thing because I was running out of clothes-specifically, short sleeve shirts that I don't have to wear a Shade or tank top with-it's just too hot for two (really three) layers! Zak and I were watching a new show on TLC a couple of weeks ago called "I Have Nothing To Wear" (my morning mantra) where they take clothes that a person already owns, but doesn't wear and chop them all up to make new ones. I'm not a fantastic seamstress (let's be honest-I'm not even "good"), so I didn't think I'd be able to come close to creating the amazing stuff the designers did, but I thought "I've got a lot of clothes I don't wear." I especially have a lot of winter stuff that I don't wear because I moved from a place of 8 month long winters to the complete opposite. I found a couple of long sleeve, button down shirts that I didn't get use out of, but weren't completely hideous, chopped off the sleeves and Wa-la! A new shirt. Here's one of them, for your viewing pleasure.
Zak came home with a hole in the elbow of one of his long sleeved dress shirts, so I cut off those sleeves and made it into a short sleeved shirt as well. No pictures-he looks hot in it though :) (now are you throwing up? binge blog reading).

I've been wanting to try out different baby carriers for awhile-just to see if they would make life easier. There are so many kinds, I don't know which style I will like the best, and I'm not made of money....so I made my own. It was really very easy. I actually made two and the second one (even with a pocket) took me under an hour cause I knew what I was doing. I followed this pattern, although there are quite a few patterns online. I just liked this one because it had photos of each step. I went really cheap and even used material I already had-those of you who grew up in our house will recognize the material (don't worry mom, the top sheets are still intact, this is the fitted and the elastic was streched out anyway). I think it would be cuter with a smaller print, but, like I said, I was being cheap. If you don't sew, I think you could still manage this project, though if you ask really nicely, I'm sure I'd be willing to make one for you at a minimal price (not your first born child). I'm not sure if I'm wearing it correctly, so if you are a baby carrying pro, let me know.Then, with the leftover material, I made Jak these pajama pants. Who knew that the sheets my brothers slept on would one day become my sons clothes? It's a little Sound of Musicish. I wouldn't be surprised to see him swinging from trees sometime soon.
To top it off (literally cause this is for my hair-get it? ha!), I made a headband out of an old tie belt that never actually kept my pants up, so I didn't wear it. Half of the belt (the part with the buckle) was donated to Jak, to keep his pants up, and the other half I sewed elastic to and made this: So if you ever see me wearing it at church, you will know that I am wearing an old belt on my head.

11 comments:

Covey and Justin said...

The sling looks great. I love pouch slings like that. I have 3 for Elijah (one is mesh for the pool!). I love to sew too but don't do it much since my boy is such a light sleeper--the machine wakes him up. I love to make bibs out of towels--they rock! My other "binges" are crochet, scrapbooking and recipe collecting. Mailed your package today--hope you enjoy it! OBTW--where is the town you live in relative to Phoenix or Flagstaff? We went on a "babymoon" to Arizona last year and loved it!!

Jefferson said...

I'll have to tell Jakson some day what kinds of messes those sheets endured...

Amanda said...

Cute, cute, cute! I had so much fun with Jackson in his Hotsling when he was a few months hold. I carried him like a baby kangaroo until he got too big. We got a lot of stares but it was fun.

Elizabeth F. said...

Sew crafty! LOL! I wish I had the time and patience to sew. Just not for me. Good for you though. Love the fabric of the sling!

Katja from skimbaco.com said...

Looks great! I used to sew a lot, now this internet-addiction is taking all my time.. :)

I tagged you!

Rebekah said...

I found you through Katja. I do the same thing with crafting, but I am not so good at the sewing, even though I have a great sewing machine and serger! Love the sling too. I did make one of those for my babies and loved it!

Katie Brown said...

i swear my brothers had those exact same sheets...

Annie said...

more close up pics of the clothes, please.

bethany said...

The pajama pants or the shirt on me?

Tom & Emmy said...

Every time I check out your site I am amazed at how creative you are. I love the baby sling you made. I think I might be brave enough to give that one a try...

Emily Askeroth

mAsOn & tErrI's mOm said...

Now thats talent!

Related Posts with Thumbnails