Sunday, July 29, 2007

Favorite Picture Books

Jakson has an extensive library-we own about 200 picture books, but there are certain books that I turn to over and over again, kind of like a favorite outfit. During our nap and bedtime routines we read a book-I find that it is really calming for him. Usually I read the same book for 4 or 5 days, which may seem boring to an adult, but the repitition provides a young child with more understanding and consequently, more enjoyment (equaling less wiggling around during the story).
So here are a few of my favorite read aloud picture books (and they are fun for adults too!!)

John, Paul, George and Ben by Lane Smith

Story about Founding Fathers as boys.

Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka
Anything by this author is fabulous (he also wrote Squids will be Squids, Frog Prince Continues, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs)

Wild about Books by Judy SierraHas references to many popular children's books.

Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin (also Diary of a Spider)
Hilarious book!

Click, Clack, Moo: Cows that Type by Doreen C
ronin
There are two others called Giggle, Gaggle, Quack and Dooby Dooby Moo. Very fun!

Falling for Repunzel by Leah Wilcox

Romantic story :) Great play on words!

How Much is a Million! by David M. SchwartzHelps a child (and me!) put really big numbers into perspective!

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! by Mo WillemsBooks that your kid can say "no" to!

Parts, More Parts, and Even More Parts by Tedd Arnold
A kid thinks he is falling apart because his teeth are loose and he has yellow stuff coming out of his ears.

Take me out of the Bathtub and other Silly Dilly Songs by Alan Katz
Parodies on well-known kid songs. Fun to sing with your kids!

I know there are ton more that I LOVE-but here's a list to start with. Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Leanna said...

ummm I tag you. againnnnn

Jamie said...

How cool to find this list. I have been wanting to get some good books to read my daughter. She is definitely the wiggly sort! I will write some of these down.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today and leaving such a kind comment. It means a lot to me that you took the time to check out my website!

Take care :)

Vanessa said...

My mom read "How much is a million?" to me when I was a kid! I remember it being a great book.

Related Posts with Thumbnails