Tuesday, July 10, 2007

District Diversions

We spent this last week in DC with Zak's sister Katy. Unfortunately, we were unable to take the trip without Jak (don't get me wrong, I love the kid, but it would be nice to have a vacay just the two of us), but he did surprisingly well with our hectic schedule.

Both Zak and I had spent some time in DC before, so we decided to try to do "new" things. Our previous trips hadn't allowed for time to explore the Smithsonians, so we took in a couple of those (Jakson like the "hands-on" stuff) on Thursday.

Touching an ancient giraffe bone.
Outside of the National ArchivesPlaying in a fountain.Getting Aunt Katy all wet after playing in the fountain.
The Folklife Festival was going on at the Mall, so we went to that on Friday. It spotlighted Northern Ireland, MeKong, and the original settlers of Virginia. We really enjoyed watching the cooking demonstrations, listening to cultural music and seeing the traditional clothing of each group. I would really recommend this to anyone who is visiting DC in July. And the weather wasn't bad at all-in fact, it was cool at night! Quite a switch from the heat we're used to. We even drove around with the windows down!! That evening, Katy took us on a tour of some of the monuments at the National Mall. She has worked as a tour guide of sorts in the past, so she knew some interesting facts (or myths) about the monuments that Zak and I hadn't heard before-like, did you know that Robert E. Lee's profile can be found on the back of Abraham Lincoln's head?

Jakson singing along with the Northern Ireland songs. Watching drummers at the Folklife Festival.
Snagging Daddy's sunglasses.
Zak saw this boat and said he wants to be a Viking.
Family picture at the Lincoln Memorial
Pretending we have no children :)
Zak and Jak at the top of the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.
Saturday, Zak and I left Jak with Katy and drove out to the DC Temple. It was in a beautiful area-made us want to move there. After that we went to the Holocaust museum (also sans Jakson). I really felt a sense of reverence there-in one room, shoes are piled up and the smell from the shoes lingers in the air. Looking at all of the shoes, I realized that these were real people-obviously, I knew that before, but that exhibit made it more concrete for me. After the museum, we walked over to the new World War II Memorial. All of the symbolism was very cool.

Outside the temple.
At the World War II Memorial. I just have to point out that the day we left, I decided that I didn't have enough shorts, so I cut off a pair of pants I never wore and made the shorts you currently see on me. I was so proud of myself! :)
Washington Monument in the background.
Thanks to Katy for making this vacation possible-- for letting us take over your room and watching Jakson when you could have been on a hot date! Love ya!

8 comments:

Clyde said...

I love your blog. Keep those pictures and stories coming!

Crystal said...

The DC temple is so beautiful. Before the Boston temple was built- this was the temple we would take all of our youth trips to. It's so fun down there. I can't wait to get back to the East to take Jon around some more.

Amanda's got Baby Bangs said...

My mom is going to DC this weekend and I'm wishing I could tag along.

Katja from skimbaco.com said...

Great photos, thank you for sharing your trip!

Adventures In Babywearing said...

These pics are great! How fun!

Steph

Katie Brown said...

hey beth, i'm glad you had fun.

Elizabeth F. said...

How sweet! You guys look so young without the baby in the picture. LOL! I know what you mean, it's fun to imagine the care-free days again when you and hubby could just go away with no worries. It will happen again one day soon! :-)

Jon said...

I think you should let Zak be a viking

Related Posts with Thumbnails