Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Like father like........dog

For those of you who do not know, Zak has a disease called auto-immune hepatitis. He first found out about it when he was a junior in high school and the doctors discovered that half of his liver was no longer working. Basically, auto-immune hepatitis is when the body begins attacking your liver or other organ and killing it. Thankfully, they were able to put him on medication and it is now in remission. For a 16 year old to have this disease was unheard of-it was considered to be a middle aged woman's disease (a "woman's problem, if you will :)) and very rare at that. He made medical history-that's my boy! Because not much is known about the disease or how one gets it, we have been worried that Jakson inherited it. Never once did I consider to be worred about Scout.
I took Scout to the vet (AGAIN!) this morning because he has two gross, oozing bumps and a really swollen neck and face-I am no expert, but I figured this was not normal. After an examination, the vet let me know that Scout has "puppy strangles" the equivalent of auto-immune hepatitis for dogs. What the crap? Scout is now taking prednisone-the same med. that Zak was on for many years. Of course, it is a very rare thing for dogs to have-in fact, the vet said that he hasn't seen a dog with this in the last 8 years of practicing as a vet. Doesn't surprise me-he's a Vermillion.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Ok, that's bizarre.

Melissa said...

Strange, I guess it was meant to be!

Related Posts with Thumbnails