Thursday, March 08, 2007

I Heart Goodwill


Some people don't like thrift shops. I don't get it. Have you never shopped at one or only at DI in Utah where everything is picked over? I don't mind the digging that is an important aspect of successful thrifting, maybe that's what turns people off. Well, whatever it is-more stuff for me I guess :) So, there is an amazingly wonderful Goodwill close to where we are staying in Vegas. Everyday something new is 50% off and even sometimes 75% off. The other great thing is that Target donates directly to this Goodwill-meaning that brand new stuff still in boxes can be found at a fraction of what it would cost you for the exact same thing at Target. For example, last weekend, we found an armoire there, still in the box with the plastic and styrofoam intact for $50. Looked it up online-still for sale at Target for $200!! 75% off-not bad!!
Because Jak has been sick (and so has Zak), I've been cooped up in the house a lot. Jakson was feeling much better today, so I decided it was time to venture out into the world. We went to Goodwill where I found the Cranium Super Fort, still in the sealed box. It's this awesome 72 piece build your own fort kit!! The age said 4+, but what the heck. I convinced the cashier that it should count as furniture (today was 50% off furniture day), and so I got it for $10!! Hooray! Looked it up online (what's the point of getting something for cheap when you don't know how cheap?) and Target sells it for $40!! I was gonna wait till Jakson's fourth birthday, but it looked like too much fun, so we got it out and Jakson helped me ("help" is a very liberal term) set it up into a tunnel. Hours of fun await us!

3 comments:

Audra Bollard said...

You never cease to amaze Bethy! My favorite part is that you convinced them that's furniture. Looks like fun. I'm glad Jak is starting to feel better. Nothing brings life to a screeching halt like a sick kid--it's a full-time job on top of the full-time job they already are to take care of! Can't wait to see you next week.

Audra Bollard said...

Oh, and I'm a little behind on commenting, but I really liked your nostalgic Utah post. It brought back some memories I had forgotten about. I NEVER wanted to live there while we were there, but something about Provo is endearing just the same. Probably because it represents a life stage that I will never have something similar to ever again. Anyway, you can tell we're getting old by the way I'm blubbering on here about this :)

Annie said...

We're not worthy! We're not worthy! I bow my head in deep reverance and awe of you, oh thrifty one. Seriously, that's awesome. You have a gift. I was just going to say that I wish there was a way for you to make money somehow at finding these amazing deals but I guess by finding the ways to save money like you do, it's just like making money, SO GOOD JOB!

Related Posts with Thumbnails